E-Mealz - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!!

Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!

Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Never Stop Learning

I think, if I was not married, I would be a "professional student." I have always loved to learn new and interesting things... and I'm usually that strange little bug that always has a dab of informational data to spit out at a dinner party (usually, not having much significance on any conversation). I love to learn. Interestingly enough, I hate reading. I'm one of those listening learners... I can read. :) I do read... but I usually don't enjoy it unless it is fictional and can take me away to far away lands.
Currently, I am enthralled in learning a different language. I am hoping to eventually learn MANY languages, like French, Italian, German, and I'd really like to continue learning Greek, and also learn Hebrew, Arabic (someday), and some other cool languages like Swahili and Portuguese.
For now, I'm learning the ever typical - Spanish. I do not enjoy Spanish. I've never wanted to learn Spanish, but since high school, I've taken Spanish classes, my mother can speak it almost fluently, and I actually understand it... Interestingly, at the Olive Garden, we have a few people in the kitchen who speak Spanish (and only Spanish), and I'd like to be able to converse with them at some point, too. Okay, and selfishly, I'd like to be able to have a conversation with someone (like Josh's auntie who I love) in Spanish without many others knowing what we're talking about! :)
Rosetta Stone has been my plan. I started using it last week and so far so good. I'm learning in ways I never learned Spanish before. I remember from past classes a lot of what I'm being taught now, but I understand it far better... and I'm actually enjoying it! I'm on level 1, Unit 2... it moves a little slow for me... but that's probably the best. It will get ingrained in my brain. I happen to be terribly impatient and making this jive in my brain by taking it slow is a challenge, but will prove to be worth it, I'm sure.
I guess, my main thought of this particular blog is one specific idea - Never Stop Learning! Knowledge and understanding are so vital to life! We can not make informed decisions in life - if we are uninformed! A subject very poignant to me is political science... did you know that the majority of people get their information about government by late night talk shows (that information is from my secular textbook I teach from at the Tech)! I have to forewarn you... that's not good enough information!!! When I say, be informed -- I mean, READ (even if you hate it more than anything) newspapers, books, journals, etc... Listen to the radio and information given there... ask people for their own opinions... listen to BOTH sides... and check the facts!
If you are looking for ultimate Truth - consult the Bible (and if you don't understand what it is saying - consult a Pastor from a Bible believing/teaching church). I will also add... When it comes to government, I say, listen to both sides... However, when it comes to the Bible, I am not willing to listen to any side but a Biblical side when it comes to truth. Sound irrational? It's not. I am not uninformed on other religious views - as I have been purposely learning much about Islam and have studied other religions as well... However, when seeking the truth to apply to my life - I will only consult the Bible.
All this to say - never stop learning.
I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma. ~ Eartha Kitt

No comments:

Post a Comment